Sunday, September 21, 2014

Boulders in my shoes

Metaphor time!  Although I'm not very good at it, I love trying to find different ways of describing one situation through a simpler but similar situation. In other words, I love metaphors!

During my long run today I came up with a different way to look at life and all of the things that seem to cause us great anxiety.  At least I think I came up with it. . .if not my apologies to the originator whoever you are.

Inevitably when I'm on the road putting in my miles a piece of gravel or ten will find their way into one or both of my shoes.  Often it's no big deal because I'm only running a couple miles and I can put up with the minor inconvenience.  

However there are those days when I swear I have a rock the size of Gibralter rubbing against my foot. Or, I just know a dump truck unloaded a ton of rocks inside my shoes and they are going to cause blisters that will never heel and I'll never be able to run again!!

So you know what happens next. . . I pause my run to eliminate the menace because  let's face it, when you are a world class athlete like I am you can not risk serious injury!  Plus with the condition of some of our roadways I figure the extra rocks can't hurt. 

Well you know what happens next, I unlace my shoe and discover the smallest of earths products. A piece of stone so small the speck of sleep I picked out if my eye that morning is enormous in comparison. 

This can't be the cause of all my pain and discomfort. There must be some mistake. I shake my shoe, certain there must be more stones lodged farther down. I even reach my hand inside only to find nothing.  

Although I'm a little stunned at the insignificance of the cause of my discomfort I am relieved to find I will be able to continue my training for the world famous Des Moines Marathon!

Life is short, but it should be long enough. 


No comments:

Post a Comment